Thursday, September 11, 2014

Westboro Baptist Church v.s. the people of New York City


What the HELL is this..?




Guess who is touring trolling New York right now. If you've heard of them, they really don't need any further introduction...

If you haven't heard of them, meet the the Westboro Baptist Church. They're pretty much just one family, known for trolling the entirety of America with their hate speech, picketing funerals of fallen soldiers, famous people, and today, even the 9/11 memorial. They are loud, they are obnoxious and they have the most insane "reasoning" anyone has ever heard.

Yesterday they were picketing the Huffington Post for being pro-gay, and Harper's Magazine for having their office on, well... 666 Broadway. Satanic to the core!

Years ago I watched British documentary maker Louis Theroux spend some time with the WBC, trying to understand them and getting so much backwards logic and circular reasoning in return it almost seemed impossible that an entire family could be so narrowminded and dumb. So when the chance presented itself to go see them for myself, that's exactly what I set out to do. 

When I got there the WBC hadn't arrived yet, but the opposition had, so I went and introduced myself to them, told them I was on their side and decided not to interfere in anything that happened because the WBC are also infamous for their lawsuits. If you threaten or assault them, rest assured you'll be paying for the next picketing-tour. The WBC also try to piss everyone off any way they can. To be honest, I can't take them seriously even if I try, so none of this upset me personally. A lot of people got angry and some even tried to reason with them but you really can't reason with these folks. So I just stood back and documented everything. Here's what happened:




Meeting the colorful opposition:



...and the hatemongers:



Excuse me, is Satan home?



Well, they sure have a lot of nerve displaying that particular sign in this particular city, you gotta give 'em that..





God loves.. Cupcakes! GOD LOVES CUPCAKES!


A picture sometimes tells a thousand words, but mine are pretty crappy so I filmed everything and made a compilation of what went down, here it is!


What a fun group indeed...


Hope you enjoyed watching it as much as I enjoyed being there, there are a lot of wonderful people in New York if you manage to look past the religious nuts.



Oh, and hey! The Huffington Post posted an article about the encounter, I'm actually hidden in one of their pictures, see if you can spot me ;)


Slideshow




No comments:

Post a Comment